Saturday, October 10, 2009

Birthday is Today

It's my birthday and I'm wondering how a Buddhist might approach the Gandhian satyagraha campaign.

I've realized suffering is self-inflicting. No one is responsible for your feelings, only you. You feel the way you do because you allow and accept it. Thus, we must change ourselves to avoid suffering, not expecting others to change. When we find peace and joy in the worst of circumstances, amongst the worst company, is when we have reached nirvana.

Good Quote: "True compassion is not just an emotional response, but a firm commitment founded on reason. Therefore, a truly compassionate attitude towards others does not change, even if others behave negatively. Through universal altruism, you develop a feeling of responsibility for others: the wish to help them actively overcome their problems." - The Dalai Lama


People have been asking me all day if I "feel older?" I respond "I don't feel any older. Just tired. One year older, one year closer to death." I've been listening to African chants and Bright Eyes all day. The perfect Emo combo. I'm choosing to be sad. Why? Maybe being sad's "in" right now - Emo fashionable. Emo fabulous.


What's your perfect Emo combo?


3 comments:

  1. Jerr I'm really glad I found your blog.

    I don't know if it's an emo combo, but my emo song is Colorblind by Counting Crows. And maybe that's not emo at all. But it is a good song!

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Encouraged sadness is my preferred emo attack. Every once in awhile I purposefully make myself sad. But then you go and do things like update your blog like this and it makes it much harder to be sad on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha... Jerr, I had no idea you were emo.

    ReplyDelete